Caltagirone

The representative elements of the Church of San Francesco d’Assisi all’Immacolata

One of the elements that characterises the majestic church of San Francesco d’Assisi all’Immacolata is the dome, crowned by glazed terracotta spheres and divided into eight sections that house large windows.
The dome was left unfinished due to a tragic collapse in 1702 during works to complete it.
In fact, it does not have a segmental dome, i.e. the hemisphere that makes up the dome, or a skylight, the element used to let light into the dome. Another element of great value is the bell tower built in 1852 by Caltagirone architect Salvatore Marino, which stands slenderly next to the dome.
cappella del seminario  foto del campanile e cupola
Its shape and finishes were designed to match the ornamental richness of the façade. In addition, a cusp was designed, a pointed ornamental structure in turn surmounted by a tall steeple, an architectural element with an elongated, thin profile that, together with the cusp creates the illusion of the bell tower extending further up to the sky.
The bell tower is so elegant that it inspired the architect Ugo Tarchi who, in 1954, designed the bell tower of the Cathedral of San Giuliano nearby the church of San Francesco D’Assisi.
There are some very valuable objects inside the church. These include numerous paintings by the Vaccaro brothers, a silver-covered wooden statue from 1677 depicting St. Anthony, and a large maiolica panel by Antonio Ragona, depicting the nativity with St. Francis.

The Church of St. Julian on Via dei Crociferi

The Infiorata of Noto, a modern tradition

The triumph of Baroque: expansion of spaces

Fountain of the Nymph Zizza: public water in the town

Barresi-Branciforte: the lords of the fiefdom and the modernisation of the town

The Madonna dei Conadomini and the art of devotion

Art in the cathedral

The senses tell about Palazzo Zacco

Baroque creativity: recurring themes

Expanded spaces, stucco and colourful lights

The senses tell the story of the Sanctuary Church of Santa Maria della Stella

Scenography and devotion for St. Agatha

The Antonino Uccello Birthplace Museum

One city, three sites

The new roads of the city

Madonna of the Militia: a singular warrior virgin

The interior and works of art

The Church of St. John the Evangelist

From the end of the world to rebirth from the rubble

Luminous sacred spaces

Majestic exteriors, grandiose interiors

The Church of Madonna della Stella

Verticality and dynamism of the façade of the Church of San Carlo

The senses tell of Palazzo della Cancelleria

The Church of St. Benedict

The Staircase of Angels

The palace, the town, the church

Altars, saints and sculptural works

The illusion of light and the decorative splendour

The Church of St. Paul

The Palazzo dei due mori

The art of maiolica

Baroque and the loss of balance in the 16th century

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Carlo and the former Jesuit college

A new site for the church of San Giorgio

Akrai and Syracuse: an unbreakable bond

The senses tell about Palazzo Beneventano

The senses tell the Cathedral of Sant’Agata

The senses tell the Benedictine Monastery and the Church of San Nicolò l’Arena

The casket of austerity under the great dome

The works in the church

San Domenico and Gagliardi’s work

Militello: The story of an enlightened fiefdom

The senses tell of the Cathedral of San Pietro

The Monte delle Prestanze in the new city layout

The senses tell the story of the Church of Santa Maria del Monte

The senses tell about Palazzo Trigona

The expansion of space and changing reality

The church of San Nicolò l’Arena: the majesty of an unfinished beauty

The senses tell the Church of San Domenico

A Nobel Prize in Modica

Religious architecture

The Church of St. Francis

Reconstruction after the earthquake

The city of Modica, a balance between nature and urbanism

Piazza Duomo, the elephant fountain, the heart of the city

The two churches

The Monastery of the Benedictine nuns

Palazzo Trigona: a building with a complex shape

The eagle-shaped city

A stone garden

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

The city palace

Palazzo Zacco, a balance between sobriety and decoration

The interiors: diffused light and Byzantine relics

A heritage of votive works

A unifying project for the city of Catania

Palazzo Trigona di Canicarao

The dynamics of the Church of San Michele

The interior of the church: space and colour

The senses tell the Church of San Michele

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Paolo

Virtuosity, decorations and altars

Palazzo della Cancelleria: from former stable to the Nicastro family

A story of rebirth

The city within the city

The articulated interior spaces

The freedom of worship and the Catholic Church’s role in the diffusion of Baroque

The church and the monastery

City and nature

The Benedictines’ library

Expansion, spatiality and light in the church of San Domenico

A casket of precious works

The smallest Greek theatre in the world

Scenography, lights and colours of the cathedral

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Benedetto

The senses tell about Palazzo Ducezio

The beginning of an authentic Baroque conception

Unusual iconographies: the Burgos crucifix

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista

The Duomo di San Giorgio (Cathedral of St. George)

The neo-Gothic seminary chapel: symbols, light and space

Scicli, the city of Baroque scenery

The church and the college

The Badia di Sant’Agata (St. Agatha’s Abbey)

The Franciscan convent

A compromise between Neoclassicism and Baroque

Geometry and wonder in civic architecture in the Baroque of the Val di Noto

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giuliano ai Crociferi

The Church of St. Mary of the Mountain

Rebirth and urban planning of the city of Noto

Garden of Novices and the restorations by Giancarlo De Carlo

The senses tell the story of the Church of the Badia di Sant’Agata

St. Agatha and the candelore

Views denied, views conquered: the power of the devout Benedictines