Ragusa

A new site for the church of San Giorgio

The construction of San Giorgio by the clergy and the Hyblaean aristocrats was not only entrusted to the skill of local master builders, but made use of the valuable presence of the architect Rosario Gagliardi , who executed the project.

The cathedral of San Giorgio
The cathedral of San Giorgio is one of the most iconic baroque buildings that was built by one of the most important architects of the time: Rosario Gagliardi. It stands on top of a staircase of 54 steps enclosed in a wrought iron gate and stands as a scenic fifth of the irregular square in front. The facade has the characteristic type of the tower-Sicilian facade divided into three bands that tighten upwards increasing the slender effect. The lower band is marked in the central part by three columns on each side that frame the large portal stone access, the sides instead have two smaller entrance portals and three other columns on each side, surmounted by two volutes of modest size. Here are placed the statues of San Giorgio and San Giacomo.

The works, which lasted a long time, even with donations, began in 1738 and ended with the completion of the façade in 1775, while the dome was built around 1810.
At that time, Gagliardi was at the height of his career for the construction of numerous buildings in the city of Noto, including the indisputable attribution of San Domenico, of which San Giorgio is a transformation with vertical thrust.
The impressive scenographic effect was to surpass the rival church of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist) that occupied the Patro plateau in the new Ragusa.
The beautiful Baroque church of San Giorgio is located in the charming streets of Ibla, in the oldest district of Ragusa. Before the earthquake of 1693, the city’s original mother church stood in the east of the township, where the Giardino Ibleo (Hyblaean Garden) is now located.
The garden houses the old 15th-century portal of the church that no longer exists.
The present church of San Giorgio stands in a central position, replacing the Church of San Nicola.
Considered one of the masterpieces of the Hyblaean Baroque, the building can be reached by a staircase of over 50 steps and acts as a scenic backdrop to the irregular and slightly sloping square. The bell tower façade, of Sicilian tradition, aimed at creating a two-dimensional backdrop, in San Giorgio is transformed into a tower façade thanks to the skilful use of overlapping walls, ending in the belfry, achieving an unprecedented solution in Italian Baroque.
The front of the façade is slightly shifted with respect to the trajectory of the space, increasing the vertical thrust of the church’s mass.
drone San Giorgio

The Church of St. Paul

The palace, the town, the church

A compromise between Neoclassicism and Baroque

The interior of the church: space and colour

Art in the cathedral

The freedom of worship and the Catholic Church’s role in the diffusion of Baroque

The city of Modica, a balance between nature and urbanism

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Benedetto

Palazzo Zacco, a balance between sobriety and decoration

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista

A casket of precious works

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giuliano ai Crociferi

The articulated interior spaces

Majestic exteriors, grandiose interiors

Verticality and dynamism of the façade of the Church of San Carlo

The interiors: diffused light and Byzantine relics

The dynamics of the Church of San Michele

The senses tell about Palazzo Trigona

The Madonna dei Conadomini and the art of devotion

The Church of Madonna della Stella

The Monastery of the Benedictine nuns

The city within the city

The new roads of the city

Scenography, lights and colours of the cathedral

The senses tell the Church of San Michele

The Staircase of Angels

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Paolo

The casket of austerity under the great dome

Virtuosity, decorations and altars

Views denied, views conquered: the power of the devout Benedictines

A Nobel Prize in Modica

The church of San Nicolò l’Arena: the majesty of an unfinished beauty

The Benedictines’ library

Palazzo Trigona di Canicarao

A unifying project for the city of Catania

The smallest Greek theatre in the world

San Domenico and Gagliardi’s work

Barresi-Branciforte: the lords of the fiefdom and the modernisation of the town

A stone garden

Madonna of the Militia: a singular warrior virgin

The two churches

The Church of St. Francis

Religious architecture

The beginning of an authentic Baroque conception

The church and the monastery

Reconstruction after the earthquake

Baroque creativity: recurring themes

Piazza Duomo, the elephant fountain, the heart of the city

The art of maiolica

The neo-Gothic seminary chapel: symbols, light and space

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

Palazzo della Cancelleria: from former stable to the Nicastro family

The interior and works of art

The senses tell of Palazzo della Cancelleria

The Antonino Uccello Birthplace Museum

Garden of Novices and the restorations by Giancarlo De Carlo

The Palazzo dei due mori

The senses tell of the Cathedral of San Pietro

Akrai and Syracuse: an unbreakable bond

The senses tell the Church of San Domenico

The works in the church

Scenography and devotion for St. Agatha

Militello: The story of an enlightened fiefdom

The senses tell about Palazzo Zacco

City and nature

The Monte delle Prestanze in the new city layout

The senses tell the Cathedral of Sant’Agata

Expansion, spatiality and light in the church of San Domenico

A heritage of votive works

The expansion of space and changing reality

Palazzo Trigona: a building with a complex shape

The Infiorata of Noto, a modern tradition

The senses tell about Palazzo Ducezio

Baroque and the loss of balance in the 16th century

The Church of St. Julian on Via dei Crociferi

The Franciscan convent

The city palace

The senses tell the story of the Church of the Badia di Sant’Agata

The senses tell the story of the Sanctuary Church of Santa Maria della Stella

One city, three sites

St. Agatha and the candelore

The eagle-shaped city

The Duomo di San Giorgio (Cathedral of St. George)

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Carlo and the former Jesuit college

A story of rebirth

The Church of St. John the Evangelist

The senses tell about Palazzo Beneventano

Luminous sacred spaces

The Church of St. Benedict

A new site for the church of San Giorgio

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

Geometry and wonder in civic architecture in the Baroque of the Val di Noto

Expanded spaces, stucco and colourful lights

The illusion of light and the decorative splendour

The triumph of Baroque: expansion of spaces

The Badia di Sant’Agata (St. Agatha’s Abbey)

The senses tell the story of the Church of Santa Maria del Monte

From the end of the world to rebirth from the rubble

Altars, saints and sculptural works

Unusual iconographies: the Burgos crucifix

The church and the college

The senses tell the Benedictine Monastery and the Church of San Nicolò l’Arena

Rebirth and urban planning of the city of Noto

The Church of St. Mary of the Mountain

Fountain of the Nymph Zizza: public water in the town

Scicli, the city of Baroque scenery