Ragusa

Art in the cathedral

In addition to being one of the major works of Baroque architecture in the Hyblaean area, the Cathedral of Ragusa, with its unique structure and wonderful interior wall decorations, houses many masterpieces. The barrel vault with lunettes in the central nave has stained glass windows where the Martyrdom of St. George is depicted.
vetri martirio di San Giorgio vetri martirio di San Giorgio
The lateral naves house the thirteen chapels decorated with precious paintings including “Riposo in Egitto” by Dario Querci completed in 1864, “Immacolata” and “San Nicola” by Vito D’Anna.
In the left nave we find other paintings including “Santa Gaudenzia” (1780) by Francesco Manno and the “Angelo Custode”, dated 1767, by Vito D’Anna.
riposo in Egitto di Guerci  cappelle navata destra
The left transept houses another work by Dario Querci from 1866 depicting St. George on horseback during the slaying of the dragon.
One of the most interesting works is an ancient altarpiece from 1573 brought from the old church of San Giorgio and attributed to Giandomenico Gagini : three statues are arranged hierarchically with St. George on horseback, in a dynamic position in the centre, St. Hippolytus and St. Mercurius on either side.
Gagini’s altarpiece is made of local limestone placed on a base with bas-reliefs depicting episodes from the life of St. George and the apostles. The entrances of the lateral naves are surmounted by two niches. In the right one there is the Holy Ark, a silver reliquary urn; in the left one there is the simulacrum of St. George , the patron saint of Ragusa Ibla.Arca santa
Both simulacra are displayed and carried during the procession to celebrate the patron saint.

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

A unifying project for the city of Catania

Palazzo Trigona: a building with a complex shape

Views denied, views conquered: the power of the devout Benedictines

The church and the monastery

Palazzo Trigona di Canicarao

Scenography and devotion for St. Agatha

The Monte delle Prestanze in the new city layout

The senses tell about Palazzo Ducezio

A Nobel Prize in Modica

A casket of precious works

The Duomo di San Giorgio (Cathedral of St. George)

The beginning of an authentic Baroque conception

Piazza Duomo, the elephant fountain, the heart of the city

Palazzo Zacco, a balance between sobriety and decoration

The senses tell the Benedictine Monastery and the Church of San Nicolò l’Arena

The senses tell about Palazzo Zacco

St. Agatha and the candelore

A story of rebirth

Militello: The story of an enlightened fiefdom

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Carlo and the former Jesuit college

Baroque creativity: recurring themes

The Palazzo dei due mori

The illusion of light and the decorative splendour

Fountain of the Nymph Zizza: public water in the town

Reconstruction after the earthquake

The Church of St. Paul

The senses tell about Palazzo Beneventano

The city within the city

Verticality and dynamism of the façade of the Church of San Carlo

The senses tell the story of the Church of Santa Maria del Monte

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Benedetto

The Badia di Sant’Agata (St. Agatha’s Abbey)

The interiors: diffused light and Byzantine relics

The art of maiolica

From the end of the world to rebirth from the rubble

San Domenico and Gagliardi’s work

The church of San Nicolò l’Arena: the majesty of an unfinished beauty

The city of Modica, a balance between nature and urbanism

Rebirth and urban planning of the city of Noto

Unusual iconographies: the Burgos crucifix

The Staircase of Angels

Scicli, the city of Baroque scenery

Religious architecture

Expanded spaces, stucco and colourful lights

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giuliano ai Crociferi

The senses tell the Cathedral of Sant’Agata

Art in the cathedral

Akrai and Syracuse: an unbreakable bond

The church and the college

Palazzo della Cancelleria: from former stable to the Nicastro family

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Paolo

Geometry and wonder in civic architecture in the Baroque of the Val di Noto

The smallest Greek theatre in the world

The Church of St. Benedict

The Church of St. Julian on Via dei Crociferi

The Church of St. John the Evangelist

City and nature

Barresi-Branciforte: the lords of the fiefdom and the modernisation of the town

The Benedictines’ library

A heritage of votive works

The Church of Madonna della Stella

The senses tell of the Cathedral of San Pietro

The new roads of the city

The senses tell of Palazzo della Cancelleria

The senses tell the Cathedral of San Giorgio

Virtuosity, decorations and altars

Baroque and the loss of balance in the 16th century

The Infiorata of Noto, a modern tradition

Madonna of the Militia: a singular warrior virgin

Majestic exteriors, grandiose interiors

The triumph of Baroque: expansion of spaces

Expansion, spatiality and light in the church of San Domenico

One city, three sites

A compromise between Neoclassicism and Baroque

The Monastery of the Benedictine nuns

The Antonino Uccello Birthplace Museum

Luminous sacred spaces

The neo-Gothic seminary chapel: symbols, light and space

The eagle-shaped city

The city palace

Garden of Novices and the restorations by Giancarlo De Carlo

The Church of St. Francis

The Franciscan convent

Scenography, lights and colours of the cathedral

The senses tell the story of the Church of San Giovanni Evangelista

The casket of austerity under the great dome

The freedom of worship and the Catholic Church’s role in the diffusion of Baroque

The senses tell the Church of San Michele

The senses tell about Palazzo Trigona

The works in the church

A new site for the church of San Giorgio

The Madonna dei Conadomini and the art of devotion

Altars, saints and sculptural works

The two churches

The palace, the town, the church

The articulated interior spaces

The dynamics of the Church of San Michele

The senses tell the Church of San Domenico

The senses tell the story of the Church of the Badia di Sant’Agata

A stone garden

The interior and works of art

The Church of St. Mary of the Mountain

The senses tell the story of the Sanctuary Church of Santa Maria della Stella

The interior of the church: space and colour

The expansion of space and changing reality