The Platea Magna was the ancient square of Catania.
One metre below current street level, it was filled with the remains of the rubble after the tragic earthquake. Before 1693, the Cathedral of Catania, the town hall, the Bishop’s Palace, the Seminary of the Clerics and the city jail overlooked the square. Via Luminaria (now Via Etnea) started from the Platea Magna.
The Fontana dell’Elefante (Fountain of the Elephant) was on the left of the square – not in the centre as we see today.