The Fountain of the Elephant

“Lu diotru” or “Liotru” (the elephant), which takes its name from the mythical story of Heliodorus, bears the weight of the obelisk in the centre of the square. It was probably built in the Byzantine era and placed below the archway of the city loggia as an entrance to the public palace; with Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, the sculpture was placed in the ancient Platea Magna, the old Piazza Duomo, and became the coat of arms of Catania.
The earthquake of 1693 damaged the elephant considerably: the legs were broken and the trunk lost.
The missing parts were rebuilt under the watchful eye of Vaccarini, and later placed in Piazza Duomo.
fontana elefante