magister Ambrosius da Como

In the Renaissance period, and more specifically in 1471, the tetrastyle portico was added to the Cathedral’s façade, , made by Magister Ambrosius da Como at the behest of Prior Giovanni Passafiume and then completed by da Como’s son, Antonio, in 1484. He is mentioned as a sculptor among the Comacine and Colleganti masters who, coming from Como and the nearby area of Campione, also worked in the Milan Cathedral factory. His name, together with that of the artists Pietro da Briosco and Samuele Luono da Mendriso, is found in the chronicles relating to the year 1473. The Comacine masters were a guild of artists, sculptors and builders who had been working in Lombardy since the 8th century, spreading their work to the rest of Italy.