Pietro Griffo was an important Italian scholar and archaeologist.
Appointed Superintendent of Antiquities in Agrigento in 1941, he dedicated himself fully to the research and preservation of the important archaeological findings of the Valley of the Temples. He oversaw protection of the temples during the Second World War, which were in a critical condition due to their position near the coast.
Griffo focused his efforts on the creation of the National Archaeological Museum of Agrigento, which today bears his name.
The museum was inaugurated in 1967, designed by Franco Minissi.
The following year Griffo left Agrigento to manage the Superintendence of Antiquities of Lazio, thus ending his career at the then Ministry of Education Directorate General of Antiquities and Fine Arts.