Giandomenico Gagini came from a family of sculptors originally from Bissone on Lake Lugano.
Part of the Gagini family was active in Northern Italy and another worked from the mid-15th century in Sicily and Calabria.
Gagini immediately followed the family business working in the field of statuary and architecture. His many works include the Fontana della Ninfa (Fountain of the Nymph) near Militello, built in 1607.
He died in 1627.