Born in Siena in 1906, Cesare Brandi was one of the greatest specialists in Italian restoration.
After graduating in Literature from the University of Florence, in 1932 he dedicated his first essay on contemporary art to Filippo De Pisis.
In 1939, together with Giulio Carlo Argan, a famous art historian, he founded the Istituto Centrale di Restauro (Central Institute for Restoration), which he directed until 1959.
He taught medieval and modern history and managed art reviews in Italian newspaper Corriere delle Sera.
He was the author of numerous essays including “Teoria del Restauro” (Theory of Restoration) published in 1977.