Born in Lapo in 1713, he joined the Benedictine order in Naples in 1732, and, years later, in 1736, was ordained a priest. He became archbishop of Palermo in 1762. He was appointed Knight and Grand Chancellor of the Order of Saint Januarius by King Ferdinand. As for the cathedral, Archbishop Filangieri entrusted the project of consolidation and restoration to the royal architect Ferdinando Fuga in 1767. The works that were carried out, from 1781 to 1801, were however more invasive than those of the initial project.